HOW TO APPLY FOR A HANDGUN PERMIT AND THE HANDGUN PERMIT APPLICATION PROCESS
Paper applications are not accepted.
Step One – Application
- You must go on line and fill out an application.
- When completing the application, you must specify the agency you are applying through. Note that selecting the wrong agency may delay the application process.
Step Two – Fingerprints and Fees
- Call IdentoGO at 1-877-472-6917 or go to www.identogo.com to make an appointment for fingerprinting. Appointments are only taken on Friday from 2PM to 5PM.
- The station for printing is located in the Starke County Justice Center
You may be declined a handgun permit for any of the following reasons:
- If you have ever committed a felony.
- If your record shows a propensity for violence.
- If you have a history of domestic violence.
- If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- If you have threatened law enforcement officers with violence.
The State also reserves the right to revoke any license that has been issued if you are convicted of any felony or if any of the above apply after your license has been issued.
For more information on handgun laws and permit information you can go to www.in.gov and select Firearms licensing or contact the Indiana State Police Firearms Division at 317-233-5054.